Fight for Rhinos and Helping Rhinos is supportive of Game Reserves United (GRU). GRU is an alliance of private game reserves on the western border of the Kruger National Park (KNP).
The main purpose of GRU is to establish a reliable and unified intelligence. It is supported by experienced counter-insurgency and counter-intelligence individuals, and closely aligned with law enforcement agencies. This approach is unique and could be the leading example for collaborating landowners when it comes to poaching.
Since 2008, the private reserves to the west of Kruger have greatly increased their investment into security to help combat the escalating threat of rhino poaching. This increased investment is not only improving security for rhinos on the Park’s western boundary, but the benefit is spilling over in the Park itself.
So far the project has had the following results:
- The number of rhinos poached in the project area has declined by 50% per annum over a three- year period.
- Intelligence operations are focused, collaborative and coordinated and the information generated is well-managed across the project area.
- GRU works in collaboration with the KNP and other law enforcement agencies.
- In partnership with SANParks, promote the creation of additional field ranger positions to be deployed in the participating reserves for improved area coverage.
- There is improved communication resulting in improved area integrity management.
- Through an MoU with SANParks, there is alignment of the Private Sector’s efforts with those of the KNP to reduce operational discord between the sectors and bring about improved regional integrity
We need your support to continue this project. To support us in the preservation of the rhino, please see the DONATE buttons on the left or bottom of the page.