Kingpin poaching leader Hugo Ras, and his nine co-accused have been charged with no less than 318 charges regarding their involvement in rhino poaching and related crimes. These people are REPEAT OFFENDERS; they are believed to be responsible for the brutal slaughter and mutilation of 24 rhino, including a pregnant cow and a small calf, in state and privately owned reserves around the country between June 2008 and June 2012.
They were arrested Friday by South African’s Priority Investigation Unit, the Hawks. A spokesperson for the group, Paul Ramaloko called the syndicate’s operations the “serial killing” of rhino.
Via Allison Thompson from OSCAP (Outraged South African Citizens Against Poaching), here is a list of the accused:
1. Hugo Ras (Ringleader)
2. Trudie Ras (wife of Hugo)
3. Mandla Magaguka (poacher)
4. Willie Oosthuizen (Organized Crime)
5. Joseph Wilkinson (Attorney)
6. Jacobus Steyn aka Bonnie Steyn (Pilot)
7. Abraham Johannes Smit (Trudi Ras’s brother)
8. Christopher Scheepers aka Mathys (Free State guy)
9. Anton Ras (brother of Hugo)
10. Willem van Jaarsveld (still trying to work out who and what he is).
All the accused are currently in custody as the case was postponed, at the request of the state. BUT we urgently need YOUR help! The accused have the means to flee the country should they be granted bail. Please see the following petition to ask the court to deny Ras and his gang bail. IT WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE FOR A SHORT TIME. PLEASE SIGN AND SHARE IMMEDIATELY.
For more on Ras and his crimes, see Julian Rademaker’s excerpt from Killing for Profit: http://killingforprofit.com/2014/09/22/rhino-syndicate-ringleader-arrested/